Friday, June 23, 2006

Bagga Bagger

On Thursday, we went to Louniel Village, where we met Chief Jack and his family:


Oh, Chief Jack, where do I start with Chief Jack? Chief Jack is Chief, and when asked about his role as chief (come to think of it, I don't even think we asked, he just told us), Chief Jack said something along the lines of, "If I want to do something in the village, I can do something. If I don't feel like doing anything, I don't have to do anything, because I am Chief."

He was very friendly and talkative and extremely open to suggestions about his new money-making venture: "Bagga Baggers." 15 Uni students camped out on his land a while back, and possibly over a few Tuskers, told Chief Jack that beach huts would lure the tourists. So Chief Jack ordered his village to commence building huts on the beach to be equipped with a table and bed. Then Brett came along and suggested the marketing term, "Backpackers."

Chief Jack was very impressed with this idea and throughout the course of day would mumble, "Bagga Baggers" and smile slyly to himself. Just as Chief Jack never tired of this word, Brett and I didn't either. "Bagga Baggers," like a Wiggle's song, played continuously in my head.

The Bagga Bagger:



Chief Jack's son, Daniel (who will one day be Chief), took us for a hike down to the waterfall. The water was very cold, but considering the distance we traveled, it didn't deter us from a quick swim.



After the waterfall, we drove to Black Sand Beach, home of the Bagga Baggers. Brett and I went horseback riding. Brett and Daniel went bodyboarding, and I just splashed around. It was a really tough decision, but Brett and I both decided that other than the volcano, this was our favorite tour. We exchanged addresses with Chief Jack and look forward to his visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home